BIG DATA ANALYTICS HACKATHON
29-30 June 2018, ADA University
The 24 hours non-stop Big Data Analytics Hackathon organized by the Center for Data Analytics Research (CeDAR) and School of IT & Engineering was held at the ADA University, 29-30 June 2018. The Hackathon was sponsored by PASHA Bank OJSC and partnered by ASAN Services state agency. It was first of its kind initiative in Azerbaijan where participants were expected to demonstrate their technical capabilities tackling with Data. Mission of Hackathon is to reveal hidden opportunities that conjunction of Data with Technology provides to industries turning raw Data into actionable intelligence. The primary purpose of Big Data Analytics Hackathon is to bring together the data scientists, business analysts, software developers, visualisation specialists, students and simply people with data sense from academia, business and public sectors who will be asked to solve real Industry-related problems using Analytics Techniques and Machine Learning applied to the real data provided by industries.
It was quite challenging for organizers to select 16 teams of 54 qualified teams applied for participation. All applicants received three-days TRAINING COURSES in Data Manipulation, Statistical Data Analytics and Machine Learning offered by experienced instructors and researchers of the School of IT & Engineering. Big Data Hackathon 2018 challenged 16 selected teams with very diverse Data Science and Analytics interests and experience testing their capabilities while solving real-world Data Analytics problems.
The Hackathon was led by faculty member at School of IT & Engineering and director of Center for Data Analytics Research (CeDAR) Dr. Abzetdin Adamov with data scientists including Dr. Samir Rustamov and Mr. Ramin Orujov.
Participants were expected to find the solutions of challenging business problems. Following two problems from banking and public sectors with relevant Datasets were announced to participants by starting time of the contest:
- Data Analytics task from PASHA Bank was devoted to finding answer to the very challenging question for whole banking sector and government of the country: How to increase non-cash payments in the bank? PASHA Bank provided the anonymized Dataset that included more than 2 mln (with many attributes) POS/ATM/ONLINE transactions of bank's customers. Based on all these participants were expected to apply the techniques of statistical and predictive analytics as well as machine learning and come up with a proposal to increase non-cash payments.
- Real case from ASAN Services state agency based on data from call center with total number of 1.2 mln real calls. Contestants were asked to predict number of calls, most frequent categories, call length by each operator for the particular period of time. These findings are supposed to help to identify best dates of summer vacation for each operator to minimize any possible negative affect on the quality of service.
Teams were asked to focus on one of two proposed tasks. Judge Panel formed based on good balance between scientists from academia and experts from industry, evaluated teams' solutions based on three primary criteria: Technical Approach, Innovativeness and Final Presentation. According to the decision of the Judge Panel, the places were distributed as following:
for the task from Banking Sector:
- 1st place - Team QSS BEU: Terlan Cebiyev, Vusal Ahmadov, Sevinc Huseynova, Orxan Tagiyev
- 2nd place - Team DataIsLIFE: Ulvi Nagizada, Elvin Aliyev, Elshad Ibrahimov, Nicat Mutallimov
- 3rd place - Team DataMind: Elgun Majidov, Aytaj Ahmadova, Tural Hamidov
for the task from Public Sector:
- 1st place - Team DataCracke: Rahim Ahmedov, Shahin Aliyev, Ulvi Veliyev, Farid Zarbaliyev
- 2nd place - Team NCoderAS: Nurlan Valizada, Sara Asgarova, Aynur Agayeva
- 3rd place - Team DataRobots: Qulu Mammadli, Kamran Alasgarzada, Rashad Shamsili, Mohsun Haziyev
First place winning team "QSS BEU" who was focussed on banking sector task was awarded 3000 AZN cash, 2nd and 3rd teams ("DataIsLIFE" and "DataMind") received valuable prizes from sponsor and partner of the Hackathon PASHA Bank. First place winning team "DataCracke" worked for public sector task was awarded 500 AZN cash, 2nd and 3rd teams ("NCoderAS" and "DataRobots") - 300 AZN and 200 AZN respectively from partner ASAN Services. All teams participated in Hackathon received Participation Certificates.
"Academia and Industry partnership becomes increasingly crucial for preparing young people with certain skills to compete in labour market, especially in such a emerging areas like Data Science and Analytics that well align with Digital Transformation strategy. Current cooperation with PASHA Bank and ASAN Service state agency in framework of Big Data Hackathon is good evidence of win-win policy. First ever Big Data Analytics Hackathon organized at the ADA University was good opportunity to get know better the local Data Science community and depth of their knowledge. We were surprised with level of interest to Hackathon and relevant capabilities of teams to bring together Data, Analytics techniques, variety of tools and business vision to solve real-world challenges from industries, doing all of these under pressure of time and in a highly competitive environment. We will take this valuable experience into account while preparing for upcoming programs and event at the CeDAR..." said Dr. Abzetdin Adamov, Director of Center for Data Analytics Research (CeDAR).
Please contact us for further details at CeDAR@ada.edu.az